Closed for Investment

Fund overview

The trust's sole asset has now been sold and the trust will be wound up. 

If you are a existing investor looking for your holding information, please go to InvestorServe.  Looking for a new investment opportunity?  To build your wealth with a highly rated and award winning fund manager, view our open investment opportunities.

Welcome to Investor Services

Here you will find the current unit price, distribution history, taxation information and withdrawal or liquidity event announcements for the trust.



May 2019

The Charter Hall Direct WorkZone Trust has now been wound up. Correspondence containing an annual tax statement and annual periodic statement for FY19 will be mailed to investors in July 2019.

Unit Price

The unit price is calculated on a quarterly basis after the conclusion of each March, June, September and December and will reflect the NAV per Unit and may be adjusted for the capitalisation of certain trust expenses.

Download current and historical unit price

For more information see the Product Disclosure Statement.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.


WorkZone is no longer paying monthly distributions as it is currently being wound up. WorkZone distributions were payable monthly in arrears approximately 15 days after month end (except for June and December distributions which were payable approximately 20 days after month end).

View distributions paid from inception

You can access your distribution statements through InvestorServe or contact the registry on 1300 137 895.




Existing investors can access information on their holding through InvestorServe, a secure online facility hosted by the registry, Boardroom.  Investors can view details of their holding, update personal information or communication preferences and download historical statements or correspondence.

If you are having trouble accessing InvestorServe or you aren’t registered yet, call the registry on 1300 137 895.

Registry Login


The trust's year end for taxation purposes is 30 June, at which time the net income and the components of the distribution are determined. The total annual distribution is advised in the Annual Tax Statement, which is mailed to investors in August. 

To access your Annual Tax Statement, login to InvestorServe or contact registry.

Witholding tax to be applied to international investors

WorkZone is a managed investment trust for the purpose of subdivision 12-H of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 (Cth). These components are provided solely for the purposes of subdivision 12-H and should not be used for any other purpose.

Distribution history for the purposes of subdivision 12-H:

View current

View historical

Taxation Guide

A taxation guide has been produced to assist investors in completing their income tax return. The guide provides general information only and should not be relied on, and does not constitute taxation advice. 

View taxation guide

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the term of the fund?

The fund had an initial five-year investment term.

The fund's asset was sold in 2018 prior to the conclusion of the initial investment term.

What is an APIR® code?

A unique identifier issued by APIR® to participants and products within the financial services industry. WorkZone's Ordinary Unit's APIR® code is MAQ0822AU and Wholesale Unit's APIR® code is MAQ0823AU.

Who do I speak to about my investment in the fund?

You may speak to your financial adviser, other professional adviser, our registry Boardroom and/or Charter Hall.

Alternatively you can log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe or contact our registry on 1300 137 895 for account or administrative issues including:

  • Account balances
  • Taxation, Distribution, transaction and other statements
  • Processing of your application
  • Changing your address, bank account details or name
  • Recording your tax file number  
  • Checking your holding balance and unit price
  • Other administrative matters

 You can also call the unit registry for assistance with logging into InvestorServe on 1300 137 895.

What is the value of my investment?

The value of your investment can be calculated by multiplying the number of units you hold by the fund’s current unit price. You can find the number of units you hold on your distribution or transaction statement and the latest unit price can be found on the investor centre page for the relevant fund.

Alternatively, you can log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe or contact our registry. Please ensure you have your investor number when requesting this information.

When will I receive my annual taxation statement?

Annual taxation statements are mailed to investors in July/August for each separate investment held. The annual taxation statement shows the taxation components of the distribution payments made throughout the year. Investors should wait to receive this statement before lodging their tax return. Please contact your tax adviser should you have any questions on the information contained within the taxation statement.

How do I update my personal details?

To notify a change of your details, please log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe. Alternatively, please advise our registry in writing using the relevant form based on your circumstances. Registry forms are available for download on the Documents & Forms page.

Please note the important requirements you should attach to your completed change of details form, as appropriate:

Change of name by marriage:

  • original certified copy of the marriage certificate
  • letter of request with current and new signature

Change of name by divorce: 

  • original certified copy of your marriage, birth certificate or any other legally recognised document to confirm your maiden name
  • letter of request with current and new signature 

Change of name by deed poll: 

  • original certified copy of the deed poll confirming your signature
  • letter of request with current and new signature

Change of company name: 

  • original certified copy of the certificate of incorporation reflecting the change in the name of the company 
  • letter of request signed by the relevant parties
  • new signature or Power Of Attorney list

Forms are to be returned to:

Boardroom Pty Limited 

GPO Box 3993

Sydney NSW 2001

Phone: 1300 137 895

Can I transfer my holding to another entity or person?

Yes, a transfer takes place when you decide to sell all or part of your investment to another person or entity. 

A transfer is a change of ownership of units within the same fund. A separate standard transfer form is required to transfer your holding for each registered holding.  

Please seek financial advice. 

The standard transfer form can be found on our Documents & Forms page. 

Please note that when a transfer takes place, our registry treats this as a new holding, even if it is a simple name change with the same trustees or company directors. Therefore all banking details, tax file numbers, Australian business numbers (ABNs) and adviser details will need to be provided on the new transfer form.

How do I notify Charter Hall of my tax file number (TFN)?

If you do not provide your tax file number on your original application form, you can provide it at any time in the future. Please note it is not compulsory to quote your TFN, however withholding tax will be taken from any payments from Investors who elect not to provide their TFN. These investors will then be required to claim the withholding tax through their annual tax return. The tax file number form can be found on the Documents & Forms page.

What is a certified document and who can certify a document?

If you are required to submit a certified copy of any original document, an authorised person needs to certify that the copy is a true copy of the original. A document can be certified by one of the following persons:

  • a person who is currently licensed or registered under a law to practise in one of the following occupations:
    • medical practitioner; 
    • nurse;
    • dentist;
    • physiotherapist;
    • chiropractor;
    • pharmacist;
    • optometrist; or
    • veterinary surgeon;
  • a person who is enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a state or territory, or the High Court of Australia, as a legal practitioner; or
  • a person on the following list:
    • an Australian Postal Corporation permanent employee or agent (who is currently employed and has two or more years of continuous service or is in charge of supplying postal services to the public);
    • an officer with, or an authorised representative of, a holder of an AFSL, with two or more continuous years of service with one or more licensees;
    • a teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution;
    • a minister of religion (under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth));
    • a marriage celebrant (registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth));
    • a bank, building society, finance company or credit union officer, with two or more continuous years of service;
    • a Justice of the Peace;
    • a police officer or sheriff; 
    • a notary public;
    • a member of Governance Institute of Australia;
    • a member of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants;
    • a member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or fellow of The National Tax and Accountants’ Association;
    • a member of Engineers Australia (other than the grade of student);
    • a member of The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy;
    • a member of the Australian Defence Force (who is an officer or non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 (Cth), with two or more years of continuous service or a Warrant Officer within the meaning of the Act);
    • a member of the Commonwealth parliament, a state parliament, a territory legislature or a local government authority (state or territory);
    • a permanent employee of the Commonwealth (or Commonwealth authority) or a state or territory (or a state or territory authority) or a local government authority, with two or more years of continuous service;
    • a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the state or territory in which the declaration is made;
    • an Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955 (Cth));
    • a court officer, registrar or deputy registrar of a court; or
    • a judge, clerk, magistrate, master of a court or chief executive officer of a Commonwealth court.

What must the certifier do? 

The certifier must confirm the copy is certified as a true copy of the original documentation and clearly state their name, category and date of certification. An example of appropriate certification wording is:

“I certify this (and the following pages each of which I have signed/initialled) to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original.”

Please note certification is only accepted if within two years of the date of certification.

What is the fee paid to my adviser?

If you have appointed an adviser on the application form or by using the adviser appointment form, your investment may be subject to an adviser professional fee for service as mutually agreed and instructed to us on the form. The fee can be a percentage of the application amount or a dollar value. If no adviser is appointed there will be no fee deducted. Please contact your adviser for more details or our registry on 1300 137 895.

What are the tax consequences of withdrawing money from the fund?

Individual taxation outcomes as a result of a withdrawal will depend on a number of factors including, but not limited to, exit price, length of investment, and the structure of the investing entity.

Charter Hall is unable to provide taxation advice. We recommend that investors seek taxation advice regarding any withdrawal proceeds.

Does the Responsible Entity comply with the new dispute resolution requirements?

Charter Hall Direct Property Management Limited (Issuer) confirms it has a legally compliant dispute resolution system that is, and will continue to be, available to retail clients who invest in the Issuer’s products via Investor Directed Portfolio Service (IDPS) or IDPS-like platforms, as if the investor was a direct investor. We confirm this includes a compliant internal dispute resolution procedure and membership of one or more dispute resolution schemes.


Registry –  Boardroom

Registry –  Boardroom

Fund administration

For enquiries regarding your holding (including account balance, unit price, distribution), changing contact details and assistance with online facilities. Please have your investor number (on your distribution statement) at hand.

GPO Box 3993, Sydney, NSW, 2001

Charter Hall

Charter Hall

General enquiries

For enquiries regarding the management of a fund. This includes a funds performance, strategic direction, property portfolio holding and new investment opportunities.

Level 20, 1 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000

Important Information
This information has been prepared by Charter Hall Direct Property Management Limited ABN 56 073 623 784; AFSL 226849 (‘CHDPML’) for information purposes only. This website is not an offer to sell or a solicitation or an offer to subscribe or purchase or a recommendation of any securities referred to herein and the information has not taken into account any potential investors' personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before investing, you should consider your own objectives, financial situation and needs or you should obtain financial, legal and/or taxation advice. CHDPML does not receive fees in respect of the general financial product advice they may provide, however they will receive fees for operating Charter Hall Direct WorkZone Trust (‘WorkZone’) which, in accordance with WorkZone's constitution, are calculated by reference to the value of the assets of WorkZone. Entities within the Charter Hall Group may also receive fees for managing the assets of, and providing resources to WorkZone. For more detail on fees, see the trust's product disclosure statement. To contact us, call 1300 652 790 (local call cost).